As usual I had a blast hanging with the family and doing some serious work.
Yes, I said work. No matter what you heard about this 7Figure Sam character I do work my A** off and I am not on that 4 hour work week B.S. You’re either growing or dying. (I didn’t mean in height you bastards ;)
I did however manage to get away for a night and have dinner with some friends and colleagues (my wife stood me up). These guys are some serious players and they totally take “work hard and play even harder” philosophy to a whole new level.
Ok, Let’s talk business for a second.
I don’t know if you remember but in the 90’s Las Vegas tried very hard to attract families to vacation in the “Sin City”.
They tried to portray Las Vegas as a family friendly environment.
ONLY one problem. It didn’t work and as a matter of fact Vegas experienced huge slumps in sales and revenues.
I mean who wants to bring their kids to “Sin City” on vacation. Not me
Business Lesson: You can’t be everything to everyone. You can’t call yourself The “Sin City” and try to gain revenue shares on Mickey and Minnie at the same time. Ain’t going to happen.
I don’t know if you remember but a few years ago Volkswagen introduced a 100K luxury car named “Phaeton”. It was supposed to rival the best of the best including Mercedes, BMW and Lexus.
One problem is that for years Volkswagen has positioned themselves as the “people’s car”. The name Volkswagen means the “people’s car”. So of course a 100k luxury car no matter how good it might be will never be perceived as a top contender in the luxury car world. Volkswagen is a Volkswagen and Mercedes is a Mercedes.
Business lesson: Think long and hard on what you want to be known for and what your unique selling proposition is.
Have you ever seen a strip club at a Disney property. Nooooooopppppeeeeee
In 2002 Vegas finally gave up on the family thing and changed their slogan to “What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas”.
Guess what??? Yep you guessed it. Sales Skyrocketed.
Today that slogan is one of the most successful slogans ever used in a marketing campaign.
Business Lesson: It’s much more profitable to go deep in your niche than go wide and try to be a jack of all trades.
Here are some other very successful slogans
1. Got milk? (1993) California Milk Processor Board
2. Don’t leave home without it. (1975) American Express
3. Just do it. (1988) Nike
4.Have it your way. (1973)Burger King
5. You’re in good hands with Allstate. (1956) Allstate Insurance
6. Think different. (1998) Apple Computer
7. We try harder. (1962) Avis
8. Tastes great, less filling. (1974) Miller Lite
9. Melts in your mouth, not in your hands. (1954) M&M Candies
10. The ultimate driving machine. (1975)BMW
11. When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight. (1982) FedEx
12. Reach out and touch someone. (1979) AT&T
13. A diamond is forever. (1948) DeBeers
14. Finger-lickin’ good! (1952) Kentucky Fried Chicken
15. The uncola. (1973) 7-Up
16. Let your fingers do the walking. (1964) Yellow Pages
17. There are some things that money can’t buy. For everything else there’s MasterCard. (1997) MasterCard
18. The quicker picker-upper. (1991) Bounty
19. Have a coke and smile. (1979) Coca-Cola
20. Betcha can’t eat just one. (1981) Lay’s Potato Chips
21. It keeps going, and going, and going… (1989) Energizer
22. They’re gr-r-r-eat! (1950s) Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes
23. The happiest place on earth. (1960s) Disneyland
24. The few, the proud, the Marines. (1991) U.S. Marines
25. Quality is job one. (1979) Ford
Didn’t Yo Mama Teach You That it’s Rude to Read Someone’s Stuff and Not Leave a Comment?