If you work for a big-box healthclub, or are even a staff trainer at a smaller club, I feel sorry for you.
When you work for a gym, you’re a commodity – when someone wants a trainer, the training manager’s eyes scan the gym floor and he randomly picks the first trainer walking buy to deliver the hard pressure sell.
But when you’re independent, you’re a brand. Client is choosing YOU. You make yourself indispensable.
Being indispensable is the main idea behind Seth Godin’s latest book Linchpin.
As Seth defines a Linchpin on the insider cover of the book:
Linchpins are the essential building blocks of great organizations. Like the small piece of hardware that keeps a wheel from falling of it’s axle, they may not be famous but they’re indispensable. And in today’s world, they get the best jobs and the most freedom.
Although the book does have the feel of a book written to wake up a corporate worker, if you’re a gym worker, or a newly solo trainer that needs a kick in the ass, the book will be valuable for you too.
Warning: Don’t read this book late at night, because it’s the kind of book that jacks up your adrenaline and will make it impossible for you to fall asleep.
The only thing I’d add to that is after the motivation, what you is concrete plan of action to apply to your current goals, and take MASSIVE action on it.
What Seth identifies very well for the first third of the book, is that in trying to start a meaningful business, you first need to overcome an unbelievably powerful, negative conditioning from our society as whole.
1. Your parents may have lived a certain type of lie their entire lives – validation of their own self worth depends on you believing it too.
2. Every movie, television show, and news outlet, perpetuates the status quo.
3. Everyone in your highschool and college may have been striving for a life that you don’t want for yourself.
4. The multi-trillion dollar pharmaceutical industry “treats” what are predominantly self inflicted illnesses ( I should know – I did more than 6 years of hard time in Pharmacy school).
5. Pain in the ass self-doubt can always creep in and screw us up, and short circuit our momentum.
Those are all my words, not Seth’s. And from experience with many trainers and myself, the main barrier holding you back usually isn’t a lack of willingness. If you’re anything like I was starting out solo, we’re physically able and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.
The problem is we don’t always believe it’s possible. Even if you do believe for a moment, without the right blueprint, this vision soon disappears.
For the belief part, Seth’s book is vital. And he doesn’t have something to sell you with his pep talk, so you can take his words at face value.
The one shortcoming of the book, and most self-help and hoorah entrepeneurial manifestos is they don’t make the harsh realities of having your own business clear enough. That’s fine, because Seth’s job is to be a writer – he can speak from his own frame of reference, which makes it important for you to get your info from multiple sources. And at the end of the day, you have to be your own guru.
So back to Seth’s book, I’ve pulled out some great, short bits that I had highlighted in my copy. Even if you plan to pick up a copy, you can use this as a short list to keep that entrepreneurial fire burning.
- We have gone from two teams (management and labor) to a third team, the linchpins.
- The scam is just about everything you were taught in school and by the media was an invented myth, a fable designed to prep you to be a compliant worker in the local factory,
- The tragedy is that society (your school, your boss, your government, your family) keeps drumming the genius part out.
- I grew up in a world where people did what they were told, followed instructions, found a job, made a living, and that was that.
- We’ve been culturally brainwashed to believe that accepting the hierarchy and lack of responsibility that come with a factory job is the one way, the only way, and the best way.
- Leaders don’t get a map or a set of rules. Living life without a map requires a different attitude. It requires you to be a linchpin.
- The only way to get what you’re worth is to stand out, to exert emotional labor, to be seen as indispensable, and to produce interactions that organizations and people care deeply about.
- You are capable of becoming a linchpin. And if you do, you’ll discover that it’s worth the effort.
- Depth of knowledge combined with good judgment is worth a lot.
- Expertise gives you enough insight to reinvent what everyone else assumes is the truth.
- Seek out achievements where there is no limit.
- If your Google search isn’t what you want (need) it to be, then change it. Change it through your actions and connections and generosity. Change it by so over-delivering that people post about you. Change it by creating a blog that is so insightful about your area of expertise that others refer to it. And change it by helping other people online.
- The lizard brain is the reason you’re afraid, the reason you don’t do all the art you can, the reason you don’t ship when you can. The lizard brain is the source of the resistance.
- Being fearless is not the same as being reckless.
- Why do entrepreneurs get so close to success and then sabotage all the work that they’ve done in a moment of fear?
- It’s the lizard brain that tells you that you’re not qualified, that your degree isn’t advanced enough, that you didn’t go to a good enough school.
- Successful people learn from failure, but the lesson they learn is a different one, They don’t learn that they shouldn’t have tried in the first place, and they don’t learn that they are always right and the worlds is wrong and they don’t learn that they are losers. They learn that the tactics they used didn’t work or that the person they used them on didn’t respond.
- The people who break through usually have nothing to lose, and they almost never have a backup plan.
- Every creative person I know generates a slew of laughable ides for every good one. Some people (like me) need to create two slews for every good one.
- If it works, then you have to do it. Then you have to do it again. Then you have to top it. If it works, your world changes. There are new threats and new challenges and new risks. That’s world class frightening.
- Don’t let the lizard brain win.
- About thoughts: The challenge isn’t being alert enough to write them down, to prioritize them, to build them, and to ship them out the door. It’s a habit, it’s easy to learn, and it’s frightening.
- Great work is not created for everyone. If it were, it would be average work.
- You can either fit in or stand out. Not both.
Like I mentioned before, just having the belief isn’t enough. What’s just as important are the tools. You wouldn’t feel confident with a knife at a gun fight. But with a missile, you’d feel like you could do anything.
To arm you properly, I’ve got the power of two of the top-selling programs here on Super-Trainer, THE SIX-FIGURE TRAINER MANUAL and THE SUPER-TRAINER LICENSING PROGRAM. I’ve sent a few emails out about this to my mailing list, so rather than write up what’s happening again, let me just post one of those emails from earlier in the week. This will give you all of the info you need to take advantage of the ridiculously low prices of these programs before it’s too late. But mind you, this email is already two days old. These programs go off the market today at midnight PST sharp, no exceptions, so don’t hesitate.
Yesterday, I mentioned I was going to tell you about the farewell for the LICENSING PROGRAM and THE SIX-FIGURE TRAINER MANUAL today … but don’t worry – I’m not going to try to sell you
That’s because this isn’t really a promo – it’s more of a heads up that these programs are going off the market at the end of the week.
If you’re a long time member, I’m sure you’re at least a MANUAL owner, and know some of the success stories that have come out of these programs. Trainers like …
Roxie Beckles, Dand Campos, James Dixon, and Michael Duivis …
I’ll get carpel tunnel if I keep listing them – mind you these were NOT established independent trainers to start. Some were struggling – others had no idea you could even start a training business – still others were working in the corporate gym environment for nearly a decade, thinking there was no way out …
They were all able to dump the gym for good and start a high earning training biz, and often times at SHOCKING speed.
That’s why these programs are unique – they take you from zero to sixty faster than anything else out there.
Again, you may already know all of this and have experienced some of this success yourself from these programs and the blog in general, so let me tell you why the programs are going off the market in the first place …
The truth is I’m expanding both of them. I’m going to give THE MANUAL a few more sections and a much higher price tag (at least three and more likely four times higher). And hey, once that new version comes out, I’m going to fill you in on it for sure. Even if you already own THE MANUAL, it will be worth getting too.
But if by some chance you don’t already own THE MANUAL, and you don’t want to wait a few months, then be sure to get it now. What’s shocking is just how plain FAST trainers have busted out on their own and started making real cash using this info.
In a few months some were well over the 50K mark, and others were flirting with six-figures in less than three months. The lesson here? Don’t wait.
If you’re already a MANUAL owner, you know none of that is hype, and are a witness to the info in that program. But if you have yet to make good on all of it, now is a good time to get on board the LICENSING program too. And here’s what else …
If you’re already a MANUAL owner and get in on LICENSING before FRIDAY, I’ll waive your application fee. That’s $100 in savings, but only if you get on board before FRIDAY. In that case to get started, all you have to do is send us an email to email@example.com with the subject “MANUAL OWNER” to get your special link to get on board.
If you’re not a MANUAL owner and get on board LICENSING before Friday, you will get THE MANUAL thrown in as a bonus.
Either way, that’s $100 in savings. And also, there’s now a convenient three payment option, in case you want to pay as you earn from the use of these materials.
Hey, I guess there was some selling in this email after all. What can I say, it’s a hard switch to shut off. In case you got lost in all of that, here’s the rundown:
THE SIX-FIGURE TRAINER MANUAL and THE SUPER-TRAINER LICENSING PROGRAM both go off the market for good on Friday, May 14th at Midnight, PST, NO EXCEPTIONS.
When you get in before then you can:
1. Waive your $100 LICENSING application deposit if you are already a MANUAL owner, or …
2 Get the MANUAL (and killer bonuses) as part of your LICENSE for free if you don’t already own it, and …
3. Enjoy a convenient three payment option.
You can get the LICENSING program here: https://super-trainer.com/super-trainer-licensing/
And you can get THE MANUAL here: https://super-trainer.com/the-six-figure-manual/
And if you own THE MANUAL, waive your application deposit by emailing us here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, this offer ends on FRIDAY at midnight, so don’t hesitate. These programs will never be available in this form, at this price ever again – EVER. This is the real deal so don’t miss out.